For seniors, making the transition to an assisted living or senior care facility can be quite difficult. They have to become acclimated to a new place after spending nearly all their lives in a home of their own. This new experience can be overwhelming for them, but it doesn’t have to be. Here are some tips for seniors on how they can make their stay an enjoyable one:
- Meet other people — Sometimes, meeting other people can be as easy as just saying “hi.” It can be intimidating at first, but once they introduce themselves, they will get to know the other residents.
- Get the lay of the land — If the senior did not have the chance to tour the facility before moving in, they can ask a staff member to show them around. They can see where other parts of the facility such as the dining area, the lounge or the game room are located.
- Join a class — Many assisted living facilities have art classes, in which residents take part in drawing and painting. This allows seniors the opportunity to exercise their creativity and to meet new people.
- Attend a meeting — Council meetings are held at assisted living facilities to address any issues affecting fellow residents. When the senior attends a meeting, they get to learn what is going on in the facility and offer their input as well.
- Take part in activities — New residents can meet other people while playing games or other organized activities. They can get to know the residents over a game of checkers, Scrabble or cards.
- Learn something new — Some facilities host experts who provide lectures on famous historical and political figures and entertainers. Seniors will have a greater knowledge of the subject matter and find out who else has the same interests as they do.
McPeak’s Assisted Living provides care for your loved ones while ensuring they maintain a happy, healthy, and fulfilling lifestyle, right here in Suffolk County, Long Island, near downtown Patchogue. We offer art and music classes for our residents, as well as fun games and activities to keep them active. We provide particular attention to residents with cognitive impairments, such as Alzheimer’s disease or other forms of dementia. With our affordable prices and excellent standard of care, we have the facilities to accommodate your loved one’s needs and allow them to live life to the fullest. For more information, please call us at (631) 475-0445 or visit our contact page.
This coming Sunday is National Grandparents Day. Now is a good time to finally visit your loved ones, especially those who are in assisted living facilities.
National Grandparents Day honors the families’ elders and celebrates the familial bonds between the young and old. The holiday’s beginnings can be traced back to 1956 — the same year that McPeak’s was founded. Marian McQuade, a West Virginia resident, was helping put together a celebration for seniors over the age of 80 when she noticed that the local nursing home residents were alone and had no one to visit them. From there, she sought to establish a holiday for all grandparents and those seniors who may have been forgotten by their families.
On July 15, 2020, the New York State Health Department allowed visitors inside and outside assisted living facilities, but with strict guidelines. Among them:
- facilities cannot have any new coronavirus cases within a 28-day period
- facilities must complete and pass inspections of their infection control practices
- visitors must provide their contact information upon checking in, undergo a temperature check, wear a mask and practice social distancing
- residents will be allowed no more than two visitors at a time
- at least one of the visitors must be 18 years of age or older (those under the age of 18 must be accompanied by an adult)
The COVID-19 pandemic caused the shutdown of health facilities throughout New York, leaving residents with loneliness, isolation and depression. A visit on their special day would definitely make them feel better.
McPeak’s Assisted Living provides care for your loved ones while ensuring they maintain a happy, healthy, and fulfilling lifestyle, right here in Suffolk County, Long Island, near downtown Patchogue. With our affordable prices and excellent standard of care, we have the facilities to accommodate your loved one’s needs and allow them to live to the fullest. For more information, please call us at (631) 475-0445 or visit our contact page.
Scientific data compiled and analyzed by Orb Media found that senior citizens who had a more positive outlook about aging were more likely to live longer and be less prone to health problems. In addition, seniors who encountered younger people who show respect for their elders were also reported to be in better health.
Continue reading “Positive Attitude, Respect for Elders Help Older People Live Longer”
Although New York State has “flattened the curve” and has seen a drop in coronavirus cases, that does not mean we are out of the woods yet. Senior citizens, especially those who reside in assisted living facilities, must still remain vigilant when it comes to protecting their health and preventing the spread of the coronavirus, or COVID-19.
Continue reading “Residents Must Still Protect Themselves from COVID-19”