This coming Sunday is National Grandparents Day. Now is a good time to finally visit your loved ones, especially those who are in assisted living facilities.
National Grandparents Day honors the families’ elders and celebrates the familial bonds between the young and old. The holiday’s beginnings can be traced back to 1956 — the same year that McPeak’s was founded. Marian McQuade, a West Virginia resident, was helping put together a celebration for seniors over the age of 80 when she noticed that the local nursing home residents were alone and had no one to visit them. From there, she sought to establish a holiday for all grandparents and those seniors who may have been forgotten by their families.
On July 15, 2020, the New York State Health Department allowed visitors inside and outside assisted living facilities, but with strict guidelines. Among them:
- facilities cannot have any new coronavirus cases within a 28-day period
- facilities must complete and pass inspections of their infection control practices
- visitors must provide their contact information upon checking in, undergo a temperature check, wear a mask and practice social distancing
- residents will be allowed no more than two visitors at a time
- at least one of the visitors must be 18 years of age or older (those under the age of 18 must be accompanied by an adult)
The COVID-19 pandemic caused the shutdown of health facilities throughout New York, leaving residents with loneliness, isolation and depression. A visit on their special day would definitely make them feel better.
McPeak’s Assisted Living provides care for your loved ones while ensuring they maintain a happy, healthy, and fulfilling lifestyle, right here in Suffolk County, Long Island, near downtown Patchogue. With our affordable prices and excellent standard of care, we have the facilities to accommodate your loved one’s needs and allow them to live to the fullest. For more information, please call us at (631) 475-0445 or visit our contact page.